I have had such a fun week!
From decorating the little tree I brought with the kids to each of them making their own stocking, the past few days have been fun!
Today was the icing on the cake. I got to give my kids the gifts I brought from home and spend an amazing Christmas with them - their first real family Christmas.
I also got to take some gifts to other homes for kids who don't have foster moms.
To finish the day off, we all cuddled in my bed and I read them the Christmas Story before tucking them in and going out to dinner with the other international volunteers.
It was truly a great Christmas.
Yet through it all were the thoughts of everything I've been missing at home. The family I'm not getting see. The traditions I won't be a part of for the first time my entire life.
I missed watching Christmas movies the entire month of December and decorating our huge, fresh tree while rocking out to our favorite Christmas songs.
I missed the late nights decorating the house and the making of tortellini and kifli by hand (and eating them...).
I missed going to look at Christmas lights with our good friends.
I missed the annual family gift exchange.
I missed many nights of sitting by the fire as a family and playing a game or just enjoying each other's company.
I missed Christmas with my family.
If I told you it was easy for me, I'd be lying. It was tough. It still is tough.
God has blessed me with a wonderful family that I love dearly. It's hard not being there to spend those special times with them.
But God has given me another family. 7 incredibly special children in India.
Right now He wants me to be with them.
And honestly, as much as I wish I were home with my family for Christmas, I wouldn't have it any other way because I realized today that I am home with my family for Christmas.
I just now have two homes and two families instead of one.
And today I have realized I can be missing my family back in California and at the same time be content where I am.
God has called me here and in His goodness has somehow made it home for me. I don't really know when that even happened, but as I look around me and cuddle my babies, everything just feels right and I know I'm where I'm meant to be.
So you see, I really was home for Christmas.
Tori, you continue to amaze me. I know it had to be hard, but I know God provides your daily strength. Take care of yourself and those precious kids. <3
ReplyDeleteLove you bunches!
Dianne
I love you, Tori!! This is beautiful and so are you!
ReplyDelete