Friday, January 31, 2014

Molly's Special Friend

Every afternoon a very special PT comes to work with Molly.  Her name is Ruth.

I want to share this because Ruth has been such an important part of Molly's life and has contributed a lot to the progress she has made these past few months.

And also because Ruth is my friend.

She gave me someone to talk to during therapy while I was fostering alone before Nikki came back.

She taught me new stretches to do with Molly that reflect the progress she has made and helped me set new goals for her.

She has been a very patient Telugu tutor as I try to figure out this difficult language.

She has made me try just about every type of Indian sweet there is.

She always teases me for forgetting about my tea and letting it get cold and gave me a hard time when I didn't get her a superhero costume for Christmas like I did for Nolan.

She even told me the other day I looked like a gent and not a woman because my hair was pulled back in a bun. :)

I love Ruth for all those reasons but the thing I love most about her is how much she loves Molly and the way she cares about her.

I love the way she calls Molly's name and rushes over to see her the moment she walks through the door.

I love the way Mol lights up at the sound of her voice.

I love the way she brings Molly little treats and makes her feel special.

I love the way she truly cares about Molly's progress and how excited she gets when I tell her something new Mol has accomplished.

Ruth doesn't just come and do therapy with Molly.  She comes and spends time with her, talks to her, and encourages her.

And that makes all the difference in the world.

All day, Molly looks forward to when she gets to play with her friend Ruth.  Ruth makes Molly feel so special - like she is the only girl in the world.  Ruth comes for her.  For a girl that is so often left out because of her physical limitations and in a way lives under the shadow of some of her siblings, that means the world.  Ruth doesn't come to play with Lily or Nolan or any of the other kids.  She comes to play with Molly - her special friend.

Today we had to say goodbye to Ruth - at least for a while.  Tomorrow morning, we will be leaving to move to Hyderabad.

Ruth came by again later this evening after she had finished all her work to say goodbye and Molly started crying when she came through the door.  We asked Mol if she was crying because she will miss Ruth and she said yes.  I don't blame her because I will miss her too.

Ruth is a very special lady and I have grown to love her...a lot.  I will miss seeing her every day and chatting over tea.  I will miss her teasing me and us laughing together about silly things.  I will miss seeing the look on Molly's face when she comes through the door.

We will miss her but she will continue spreading her joy and love to many others at SCH and for that I am glad.

Thank you, Ruth for all the good times and for loving us so well.  You will be in our thoughts and prayers and I know you will continue to do great things in the lives of many precious children.

We love you.

1 comment: