Now that our family has grown to 13 children, we're having to be more creative in how we split up our time so that each of our kids are getting everything they need. It has been a lot to juggle but has also made us start some new and fun things!
One of those changes has been starting group classes! I now do 2 group classes each day: an auditory/verbal class with Theo and Louise (more on that to come) and a sensory class with Promise, Jasmine, Cedar, and Chloe (our blind kids with autistic tendencies).
I found that while each of those kids used to get 45 minutes of 1:1 time every day, many of the things we'd do 1:1 were the same for all 4 kids - namely the sensory activities. But then if I were to spend 30 minutes with each kid 1:1 and then do a 30 minute sensory class with all 4, I'd save myself 30 minutes and each kid would get twice the sensory time.
The thought of trying to keep them all entertained at once seemed a little daunting but I thought I'd give it a shot!
The first day I tried it they were all so responsive to the group environment and totally surprised me at how well they participated! I have started doing the class every day now and it is one of my favorite times. Yes, they are restless sometimes and I do spend a portion of the class trying to keep them all sitting in one spot, but we still get so much done and they engage in a way they usually don't during 1:1 sessions.
We focus on a different type of sensory activity each day and have done things like playing in bubble bath or shaving cream, searching for objects in large bowls of beans, rice, or jello, reading touch and feel books and exploring new textures, listening to music and playing along with instruments, and playing with things like play-dough and play foam.
Here are Cedar and Jasmine doing so well exploring the textures of Play Foam (which is amazing - I highly recommend it!). It may not look like a lot, but the fact that they aren't just throwing it on the floor (especially Cedar) is amazing!
I love coming up with new ideas and activities and seeing the way they respond! The biggest surprise for me so far was the day we played with jello. Molly and I had made jello in school in the morning and then in the afternoon when it was ready, I used it in my sensory class. Mol and I had hidden some plastic toys inside and the kids had to search to find them. I thought the hard part would be getting them to touch the jello because of the weird texture but to my surprise, every one of them loved it! The hard part was getting them to find the toys because they just wanted to eat it! 4 of our pickiest eaters who don't like anything but Indian food, fighting over eating jello and throwing a fit when their turn was over! I couldn't believe my eyes! I love getting to watch my kids experience new things - especially when it's something they enjoy!
Along with the sensory activities, I'm also able to integrate things like taking turns and playing nicely together - skills all of them need to work on ;)
I am so excited for our new class and I can't wait to see where it will go as I work out the kinks!
If you have any new and fun sensory activities we could try, please leave a comment - I'd love to hear your ideas!
this is awesome! I love watching them play with the foam stuff. It's amazing; I'm taking care of a group of 3-4 yo's on monday mornings, and one of the moms helped me this last week, and she was able to direct them all into a group activity very easily! I had been under the impression that one on one was the best as well! Funny how these things come about. and, just recently heard of a sensory tool for the mouth called zvibe. it's basically a vibrating handle that you can put differently textured ends on, for oral development. I'd like to buy one but can't right now. I think it would be good for many of the kiddos. The mom I heard about it from has used it with her G-tube fed little man,to help with senses in the mouth/ swallowing/ chewing. The kit is about 75$ which is why it's going to have to wait for me!
ReplyDeleteHave you heard of this Kinetic Sand stuff? Could go on your Amazon Wish List. http://www.amazon.in/kinetic-physiotherapy-sensor-motor-skill/dp/B00CO5AQ12/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423773834&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=kinisthetic+sand
ReplyDeleteAlso, here are some sensory play recipes I've saved on Pinterest.
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/478155685410262937/
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/478155685410262933/
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/478155685410262920/
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/478155685410262901/
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/478155685410144995/
I tried making the last one a while ago and it didn't work so well, but maybe I did something wrong.
Oooo I love all these ideas! Thank you!
DeleteHi Tori,
ReplyDeleteI love reading your blogs and seeing what activities you do with all your beautiful children.
In the sensory class at the special needs school that I worked at, they used some dry materials for sensory play as well including tinfoil, shredded paper and leaves. The kids really seemed to enjoy it and especially the sound that you get as you scrunch up those dry materials.
Can't think of anything else right now, but I hope that helps.
Caroline ☺
We've done some things like that in the past and the kids love it! I should really do more - thanks for the reminder!
Delete