Sunday, October 13, 2013

God's Plans vs. My Plans

My plans for these next 2 years or so of my life were simple:  Finish college, continue working in the family business, take it easy, save up some money, and then, maybe, travel back to India after I had some more experience, maybe some teaching under my belt, etc...

As I've found is usually the case when it comes to my plans, God had some completely different ones in mind!

It started when I spent 2 months in India over the summer working with Sarah's Covenant Homes (SCH).  SCH takes in abandoned and orphaned special needs children and has a little over 100 in their care currently.  I hadn't really ever worked with special needs before but the second I met those kids I fell in love with them in a way I never expected.

I learned more from those precious children than I could ever put into words.  They taught me so much about perseverance, patience, trust, hope, and more than anything else, love, and what that really means.  Through the love that Jesus gave me for them I was able to understand His love for me in a whole new way - the love that has no limit and knows no bounds, the love that led Him to the cross.

Don't get me wrong, I am far from loving with that kind of love!  But through these kids I've been able to get a better glimpse of it than ever before and it still takes my breath away.

Once I found out that they were moving the kids into smaller apartment homes and were in need of foster parents, I knew that I would be returning to foster - it was only a matter of when!

I was still thinking later rather than sooner though.

Once again, God had some other plans.

His plan was the beginning of December, but I wasn't giving up on my carefully laid out plans (that I thought were pretty good too!) that easily.  I still had questions.  Questions like:

"What about school?  I have the time and money for college now.  If I put it off, I may never have the chance again."

The answer came, "Who says you need to go to college?  These kids need love, not someone with a degree.  If I have something for you later on that requires a degree, don't you think I'll make that possible?"

"All right, fine.  What about work?  I have a good job.  If I save up more money now, I'll be able to support the kids better later."

"I will provide for them.  What I want you to do is go."

"I know You'll provide for them.  But, wouldn't it be better for them in the long run if I were more prepared?  I have no experience and don't have a clue what I'm doing!"

"That's exactly what I want - through your weaknesses and lack of ability, I will shine even brighter, for it will be clear that it is all me and none of you."

"Ok, I'll quit my job, put off school again, trust in You to give me the skills I need, and go now.  But wouldn't it be better if I just waited until after Christmas?  I could be home for my family at Christmastime (which you know, I wouldn't mind either) and then flights will be cheaper and more of that money could go to the kids."

(See how generous I was being!)

His strong but tender voice broke through all of my excuses,
"Tori."

My defenses broke.

"Okay, Lord.  I'll go."

Thank goodness that our God is a patient and gracious one because my response was not exactly Isaiah's!

As soon as I gave it all over though, He replaced my questions and fears with peace and excitement.  I could not be more happy to be exactly where I am right now, preparing to go back to the kids that still hold my heart and be a mommy to 7 of them for 6 whole months!

God's plans are so much better than ours and He keeps reminding me time and time again that what He has in store for me is far better than I could even imagine!

Please be keeping both the kids and me in your prayers.  I still have a lot of growing and learning to do and I know it won't be easy.  The kids are doing so much better in their new home - please pray that they continue to grow and learn and reach higher goals than most people in their culture believe they are even capable of!

Many of them are also in need of sponsors.  Please prayerfully consider sponsoring them or some of the other kids at SCH by following their links to the left or visiting schindia.com.

God is doing some amazing things in India and I'm so grateful that you and I get to be a little part of it!

Oh, yeah, one more thing.  To fund this trip, including flights and cost of rent/food/water/etc. for me and the kids, it is going to cost about $6000 for the entire 6 months.  If you would like to partner with me by giving financially I would greatly appreciate it!

To give, just follow the PayPal link above and it will go straight to my India account.  You could also send checks or, if you'll see me, give it to me then.

Thank you so much for your support and prayers!  More updates to come soon!

3 comments:

  1. Tori...! Ugh! Every time I hear where God's taking you next I get so excited. It's just so... so... inspiring! Exhilarating! Man! I just want to go read my Bible now and learn more about this amazing God we have! blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE THIS SO MUCH! So proud of the woman you are, that I was blessed to get to know you and work by your side and see this calling unfold. AHHHH HEART EXPLOSION.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tori, You are a remarkable young woman. I know, to God be the Glory, but I just wanted you to know how much I admire your faith and the obedience to His call on your life. Praise the Lord and God bless you my friend! Leree

    ReplyDelete