I thought it fitting to write about Molly next as today is her 7th birthday!
Here she is in a new birthday dress, ready for her party!
For her birthday, we got Molly a brand new baby doll that is for her alone and had a party downstairs with a bunch of the other SCH kids. And what kind of party would it be without a pink cake?!
She had a great time and it was so good to have a day where she was the focus, not her more mobile brothers and sisters.
Today caused me to think back to when I first met this bundle of joy and it amazes me how far she has come.
For her birthday, we got Molly a brand new baby doll that is for her alone and had a party downstairs with a bunch of the other SCH kids. And what kind of party would it be without a pink cake?!
She had a great time and it was so good to have a day where she was the focus, not her more mobile brothers and sisters.
Today caused me to think back to when I first met this bundle of joy and it amazes me how far she has come.
My first memories of Molly are in a little room upstairs at Victory Home (the large home that she and most of my 7 lived in before moving to the foster apartment in July).
It was one of the less visited rooms as it was full of older girls with little or no mobility and tucked back in the corner but, if you happened to find your way to it, you were sure to notice Molly.
Molly is affected by cerebral palsy and although she is very intelligent, she has little control over her body. Because of this, she was always in the same place: lying on her back in the bed nearest the door.
As you walked in, you were greeted by one of Molly's huge smiles and if you tried to pass without saying hi, she would reach her hand out and try to grab your clothes as you walked by.
I would go into that room often to take Jasmine out of her crib to work with her. Every day though, before I could get Jasmine, I had to stop and say hi to Molly.
I didn't know her well, but one thing that stood out to me was that smile.
I have yet to meet someone else that smiles the way Molly does (or as frequently!).
She is such a joyful little girl and everyone that meets her falls instantly in love.
I did!
With love, time, and care, Molly has progressed so much since that room at Victory.
She is interacting with her brothers and sisters and is engaged in all that is going on around her.
She has become much stronger and is gaining more and more control over her body. She can now pull her head up while lying on her stomach and keep it up while sitting. She can roll over both from stomach to back and back to stomach. She also just started to pull herself across the floor which means moving from place to place on her own for the very first time!
She is now working on sitting independently and is getting better at it every day.
I can't believe how far she has come from that little girl lying on her back in the bed by the door. As I try to remember what she was like over the summer, I am realizing the incredible contrast between the two and am filled with joy. This move to foster homes that SCH has been fighting for has been so great for Molly and all the kids.
God is doing great things in this precious girl and I am so blessed to be a part of it.
Please pray for Molly. Although she has progressed so much, she still has so many more obstacles in her way. Please pray she will continue to overcome and that she would see the benefit of being able to do more things on her own and be motivated by that. Pray for us as well as we try to find ways to engage her intelligent mind.
Happy 7th birthday, Molly! You are the most joyful girl I know and have touched so many lives. May God's hand be on you now and always. Love you sweet girl!
**Molly has been fitted for a custom wheelchair that would enable her to interact with those around her much more and open the door for her to attend school. $1075 of $2432 for this has been raised. If you would like to help get this little one into school, you can give here: http://www.tinyurl.com/schindiawheelchairs and specify that it is for Molly. Thank you!**
No comments:
Post a Comment