Friday, January 10, 2014

Fingerprints of God

Every morning while I'm doing therapy with the kids I play music in the background and have noticed that songs I've heard hundreds of times take on new meaning as I listen to them surrounded by my little ones.

I have already written about the time 'Cinderella' came on (you can read that post here).  Today, it was another Steven Curtis Chapman song, 'Fingerprints of God' - and it really got me thinking.

If you haven't heard the song, I recommend you listen to it but these are the lyrics that hit me the most:

Never has there been and never again 
Will there be another you 
Fashioned by God's hand 
And perfectly planned 
To be just who you are 
And what He's been creating 
Since the first beat of your heart 
Is a living breathing priceless work of art and...


I can see the fingerprints of God 
When I look at you 
I can see the fingerprints of God 
And I know it's true 
You're a masterpiece 
That all creation quietly applauds 
And you're covered with the fingerprints of God


Just look at you 
You're a wonder in the making 
Oh, and God's not through, no 
In fact, He's just getting started



I have always listened to this song as if it's speaking to me.  Today I sang it to my kids.  It put into words something I have always felt but never really thought about.

So many people struggle with questioning why God would allow so much pain and suffering in the world.  One of the typical examples are children with disabilities.  People wonder how a loving God would allow them to be born the way they are.

While I have my own opinions about that whole topic, it is not why I'm bringing it up so I'll just get to the point.  Although children with disabilities and those that care for them have many struggles and often experience much pain and suffering, I think our world would be missing something important without them.

God has created each for a purpose.  They aren't a mistake and having a child that is disabled is not a tragedy - it is a blessing.

I believe that any parent or sibling of a special needs child would agree with me.

Of course it can be terribly difficult and overwhelming, yet it is so beautiful at the same time.

There are daily battles that tempt you to just give up and then moments of such beauty it takes your breath away.

There are days when everything seems to be coming down around you and days that are so wonderful you don't want them to end.

Yet through all the ups and downs one thing is constant and that is Jesus.  In a way I can't explain or describe, He is so clearly displayed in the lives of the disabled.

Somehow through them His light shines brighter and clearer and is there for anyone who is willing to open their eyes to see.

I see the fingerprints of God everywhere and in everyone I meet but I've never seen them so clearly as I have in my seven.

They have been through so much because of their disabilities, yet God chose to create them the way He did so He could reveal Himself in a unique way through each of them.  They have this incredible power to change the lives of those they come into contact with and God is using them in amazing ways.  People tell me I'm changing their lives by being here and while I pray that is true, they're also changing my life.  I have learned more from them and seen my Savior clearer through them than I could ever put into words.

Through my kids, all the other children at SCH, and the disabled children of friends back home, God has taught me that no life is less important than another and each was designed and created by Him to fulfill a purpose.  He has put His fingerprints on ALL of us.  He created each person on this planet the way He did on purpose.  Every person plays a part in His plan that only they can fill.  There are no accidents, no mistakes, no levels of importance.  We are all created in His image.  We are each His "living, breathing, priceless work of art."

And I can see the fingerprints of God when I look at you



I can see the fingerprints of God


And I know it's true you're a masterpiece


That all creation quietly applauds


And you're covered with the fingerprints of God.

If you have a story about God shining through a child you know with disabilities, please share.  I'd love to hear!

3 comments:

  1. I totally no what you mean! This reminds me of the kids at Casa Horizante in Mexico. I miss them sooooo much! Yes, God uses them to teach us adults incredible things and they are so adoreable! I could go on, but you said it all -you described it all perfectly. Yes, God has a beautiful purpose for these kids lives! :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. So well said Tori, I agree completely

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Tori, it's Coach Ed. We all missed you at the alumni game (only 3 girls showed, we borrowed & still played). I am very proud to see you stepping out in faith. I came across this app, which I plan to show to the Haitian kids and thought that you might be able to use it as well. It's Jesus Film Media and it gives you the Jesus Films in most of the worlds langauages. Check it out & upload it. Stay His Course, Coach Ed

    ReplyDelete