A week ago today, Lily had her first day of school.
It was a day she has been dreaming of and working towards for a long time now.
Last year she was accepted into a school but was kicked out shortly after due to her needs. Nikki and I have been doing school with her at home and she is so anxious to learn. I wrote about homeschooling her less than 3 weeks ago (you can read that post here) and the progress she has made even since then has been amazing! Our goal and prayer has been that once we made the move to Hyderabad, we would find a school that would not only accept her but see her potential and help her to learn.
8 days ago, Nikki and I took Lily to Bachpan, a preschool that another SCH boy attends, with the hopes of getting her enrolled. The director seemed willing to work with us and Lily's needs but had worries when it came to her difficulties in communication. She said she was fine with it but would have to talk it over with the teachers and that the final decision would be theirs.
We left unsure of what to think. Nikki and I were pleased with how the meeting went but honestly weren't too optimistic when it came down to it. We were planning on fighting for, at the very least, a time for the teacher to meet Lily and then a week long trial with the hopes that once they got to know her, they would feel otherwise.
The director called back that evening and I hovered close as Nikki answered the phone. After a few seconds of painful silence, she gave me the thumbs up - Lily was in!!! They agreed to let her attend for the rest of the school year (2 months), then reevaluate for the following year. They told us to come early the next morning to pay the fees and get her uniform and then she could start!
As she got ready that morning, Lily couldn't stop giggling and I don't think she has stopped smiling since.
After she had put her uniform on and we had taken more photos than we could ever need, it was time to say goodbye. I could barely hold back the childish giggles and mother's tears that were threatening to burst out any moment as I kissed her goodbye and headed back to the car. I have never been so full of joy and pride than I was in that moment.
We get little insights into Lily's day from Ramana, our ayah that goes with her but I always want to know more! Ramana says she is very happy, the other kids are including her in play, and her teacher is always very happy to see her and comes up to give her a hug when she arrives. Today she brought home her first craft and being the proud mamas we are, it is now hanging in our living room. :)
It all still seems so surreal. Each morning as we sit on the front steps waiting for the bus, I have to pinch myself to make sure I'm awake and as we stand at the gate waving goodbye, I still have to hold back tears.
After 9 long years, Lily finally has a chance to prove herself - and if I know her at all, she will!
Please continue to pray for Lily. Although this is a huge triumph and a great step for her, there is no guarantee she will be able to continue at this school. Please pray that her teacher will see what I see in Lily and let her continue on to the next class this coming year or if there is a better choice in schools for her, that it would be made clear to us and we would have wisdom in that decision. Please pray that Lily would learn to better interact with the people around her - not just children but adults as well and that she will be learning something new each day.
I see so much of myself in the way Lily desires to learn and am so excited for this opportunity for her! She has worked hard for this day and having the chance to be a part of it is one of the greatest blessings in the world.
God's going to do some great things with this special girl of His!
What a precious little one.
ReplyDeleteI like the umbrella art.
ReplyDelete