Today, Molly went to school. For the first time. Ever.
I started homeschooling Molly in December but ever since Lily started going to school last month, I have seen this yearning in Mol's eyes to actually go to a real school. I see it every morning as she watches Lily head down the stairs in her uniform and every afternoon when Lily gets welcomed home into open arms. She wants to be going with her sister so badly but because of her physical limitations, that sadly could never happen.
We have been praying for a school for Molly but options are very limited here.
Then we found Sparsh - a special ed school about 30 minutes from us. Nikki and I went to check it out last week but didn't mention it to Mol just in case. The meeting went well and we loved what we saw so we took her by a few days later for them to meet her and decide whether they would allow her to come or not. The school is mostly made up of kids with autism and down syndrome but there are a few with cerebral palsy - just not as severe as Mol's.
I will never forget the look on Molly's face when we told her we were taking her to see a school that she might be able to attend. The way her eyes lit up, the giant grin that came over her face, and that giggle (complete with scissor kick!) will forever be ingrained in my memory.
After meeting her, they were happy to take Molly and gave us the go-ahead to start whenever.
We have decided to only have Mol go 3 days a week (Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday), as it is a full day and kind of a far away, and keep her home the other 2 days. I'm very happy for this arrangement as I still want to continue schooling her at home as well and we would miss her terribly if she were gone so much!
Every day she will get individual sessions of physical therapy, occupational therapy, and speech therapy and then academics in a classroom with 4 other students.
Today was her first day and I don't think a smile left her face from the moment she woke up till we got home at lunch. We got her all dressed up and she looked beautiful and felt so special. My heart almost exploded with joy and pride.
Because today was her first day, she only stayed for half of the day. We went with her to fill out the paperwork, make the payment, talk to the teacher, and ask our many questions, then had to say goodbye. We walked down the street and got some ice cream to kill time while we waited for her to finish and were happy to find her in the classroom working on her letters when we got back to pick her up.
Starting tomorrow, one of our ayahs will take her and she will stay all day. I think that's when it will fully hit me - when I have to say goodbye and watch her drive off.
I'm slowly realizing that tomorrow I will have to truly let her go. I won't be able to protect her from things people might do or say. I won't be there to keep reminding others how smart she is and to not baby her. I won't be able to give her kisses and tell her how much I love her whenever I want. I won't be able control any of it but have to trust that they will do their job and she will grow and learn without me.
Part of me is getting really emotional right now and wishing I could just keep her home with me but I know that letting go a little is what's best for her. I keep reminding myself that it's only 3 times a week and that I've been praying for an opportunity like this for her and also for help from trained professionals for a long time.
As much as my mother's heart is aching, I am equally excited and so happy for her I might burst. She will not only get great therapy and education but she is getting some independence for the first time ever and the opportunity to interact with other children her age.
And she is so happy. When I asked her if she wanted to go to school again tomorrow, her face lit up and she started giggling. I think that was a yes!
I can't count the amount of times that tears have come to my eyes this week just thinking about it. Molly is going to school.
I'm overwhelmed with how proud I am of my little girl. She has been my main focus these past few weeks and the progress she has made is incredible. Every day she surprises me a little more and makes me even more proud of her. This is the icing on the cake.
Molly, you are one special girl and I am so happy for you.
I have to say it once more because it still hasn't quite sunk in.
MOLLY IS GOING TO SCHOOL!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment