4 weeks ago today we had an 8th child added to our little (well, I guess it really is quite large!) family: Theo.
We didn't know how we were going to make it work or handle so many children but when the opportunity arose to add him to our family, Nikki and I knew we had to say yes.
Theo has spina bifida and hydrocephalus but recently a few of his caregivers suspected he had some hearing loss as well. A little over a month ago they sent him up to Hyderabad to get a shunt placed and to get his hearing tested.
He got tested and it was confirmed - he has 95% hearing loss. The same as Nolan.
It was hard to figure out at first because he says a few words and has typical speech patterns, albeit a little delayed for his almost 3 years. Come to find out, he lost his hearing about a year ago when he had meningitis which explains the fact that his speech started to develop and then broke off suddenly.
When we found all of this out, it made the most sense that the next step would be for him to move in with us. Then he could stay in Hyderabad to get more testing and try to figure out a solution. We have also already been through the whole process and use sign language with Nolan. It just made sense and by that time Nikki and I were already very much in love...
Until he came to Hyderabad, I had only met Theo once - when I was here last summer. On the second day after arriving, I went to the home he was in, met him, carried him around for a while, and then he peed on me... That was the end of our short relationship ;)
When I met him again, over 8 months later, I couldn't help but fall instantly in love. Theo is just one of those kids - too cute and charming for anyone to resist! He also got along great with our other kids and fit perfectly into our home - it was an easy decision to take him.
It has been quite an adventure having a 2 year old in the house - especially a very mobile and clever one! He has also, because of his charms, always gotten his way so at first the tantrums were rampant! There are still tantrums (he is 2 after all), especially during therapy, but in general the frequency has gone down a lot.
Nikki and I have decided to trade off with him so one day I will do physical therapy and Nikki will do school, then the next day we switch.
PT has been quite difficult as he fights. A lot. He is capable of standing and the other day stood for 1 minute, 45 seconds before realizing what he was doing, at which point he started screaming and fell to the floor. Since that day, we haven't gotten more than a few seconds out of him. I think there is some fear involved and also some good old fashioned stubbornness...
In school he is doing great! We are starting with the basics and doing things like drawing straight lines and circles, coloring in the lines, playing matching and sorting games, and following patterns on the peg board. Theo is so smart and has been progressing quickly and picking up on just about everything we've thrown at him. Trying to teach him red and blue and their corresponding sign but although he understands the difference between the colors, I don't think the connection to the sign has quite sunken in yet. We'll get there :)
On top of all that, we are using sign language with him daily and he is starting to pick up on quite a few signs. Nolan is being a great older brother and helping him out as well!
Theo really looks up to Nolan and Nolan is so great with him. It is one of the sweetest things to see their relationship. I'm so glad they are getting along so well!
Which brings me back to Theo's hearing loss. We got him hearing aids but they didn't seem to be working at all so this week the decision was made to get him cochlear implants.
The surgery is set for April 24th as the doctors keep stressing the importance of getting it done as soon as possible for the best results.
We have high hopes for Theo's implant. If everything goes well, we believe he could quickly develop speech, picking up right where he left off. He is such an intelligent boy and has so much potential. This would truly change his life.
We have already seen the miracle of Nolan hearing, lets give Theo the same chance!
To keep the surgery date set for April, we need to have it funded. The cost is $11,000. That may seem like a lot but I'm not asking you to give $11,000. All I'm asking is that you give whatever you can - whether it's $5 or $500. Any amount counts and will make a difference. Let's show Theo that we believe in him and think he's worth it!
You can give here: http://www.schindia.com/Special-Projects/urgent-surgery-fund/
Thank you so much for your support! Please keep precious Theo in your prayers!
Love you, Theo!
No comments:
Post a Comment