Thursday, June 26, 2014

Back in India

Wow!  It has been a very full 6 days here in India since I returned!  I've pretty much settled back into life here although I'm still incredibly tired all the time!  I'm hoping it's just still jet-lag otherwise this is not a very good start ;)

My month back in America was a great time of sharing what God has been doing in my life and in the lives of my kids.  I had the opportunity to speak at a bunch of different places, get together with many friends (I drank a lot of coffee - which I was totally fine with!), and even spent a few days in Texas with my sister!

It wasn't quite the relaxing trip I had planned but I feel blessed that I had so many opportunities to encourage people with the story of what God has done - and is still doing - in my life.  It was crazy, but I wouldn't have had it any other way (although I've already decided my visit in December is going to be way more low key)!

It was a nice visit and blessed time with my family but by the end, I was very ready to come back home to my kids.  I missed them more than I can say and India has truly become another home to me.  As I walked out the gate at the airport and saw Nikki waiting there with Cedar (she surprised me by bringing him), my heart was full to the brim and I couldn't have stopped smiling if I tried!

I am so happy to be back :)

So much happened while I was gone and there have been a few more exciting things since I got back so I'll try to fill you in on the big things as best I can!

First off, Theo is walking!!  When I left, he would only stand by himself for seconds at a time and only if we tricked him into it.  As soon as he realized what he was doing, he would cry out in fear and crumple to the ground.  A few weeks ago, he started going to school for the first time and that gave him the motivation he needed to push past his fear.  With that motivation, he started progressing very quickly.  When I arrived on Saturday, he was standing for long periods of time and taking 3-4 steps on his own.  By Tuesday, he was taking up to 25 steps.  Yesterday, after a few streaks of 25-35 steps, he walked around the perimeter of the living room taking a record 97 steps!  He is still very much afraid, but is doing so well just pushing through the fear - sometimes he'll even smile!  I am so proud of him!

Other big Theo news - he is hearing!  Theo had his cochlear implant surgery the day I left and the turn on a few weeks ago.  It was successful and while it is still on a very low volume setting, he is reacting to sounds and started therapy this week to learn how to use it.  We think he will be able to understand and develop speech quickly and are very excited for all the doors that will open for him!

I mentioned that Theo started school this year but Nolan did as well!  When I left, Nikki and I had brought him to several schools and kept getting turned away.  Finally, Nikki found one that was willing to take him and he loves it!  He is doing well there, the teachers like him, and he is playing well with the other children.  We now have 4 of our kids in school: Lily, Nolan, Theo, and Molly!  The house seems so empty on the mornings they are all gone...

Kourtney (another foster mom) recently moved here with her boys from Ongole to enroll some of them in schools here.  They are in the basement, the offices on the 1st floor, the critical care babies on the 2nd, and us on the top.  The house has become very crowded and we have been praying and looking for a second home here for the past few months.  That prayer was answered and a 2nd Hyderabad home will be ours on July 1st.  Our family, Kourtney's family, and another group from Ongole will each have a floor in the new house and the extra space here will allow the cramped critical care home to spread out.  We are still in need of some funds to get the new home up and running.  If you would like to help us out with this urgent need, you can do so here:  http://schindia.com/Special-Projects/courage-home/


Nikki left early yesterday morning to go back to Canada for a few weeks and renew her visa so things are getting a little crazy around here as I try to cover for both of us till she gets back.  The kids miss her but understand she is coming back soon and are handling it in a healthy way.  I miss having her around too and am counting down the days till she returns!

Please continue to keep us all in your prayers - they are very much needed and greatly appreciated.

Here are some specific things we could use prayer for right now:

That Nikki's visa app would be approved and returned to her quickly so she can return in 3 weeks as planned.

That the funds would come in for the new house and that the transition/moving process would all go smoothly.

That Nolan, Theo, Lily, and Molly would continue to do well in school and that we would be able to keep good relations with the teachers, etc.

That Chloe and Charlotte, the 2 girls that will be joining our family once they get transferred from the state orphanage, would be transferred to us quickly and that there will be no more delays.

That I would be filled with Christ's love and strength each day as I try to take care of everything while Nikki is gone.

Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment