Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Chloe and Charlotte - Bringing Us to the Perfect 10

Yes, you read that right.  Soon Nikki and my child count will go from 8 to 10!

Some would think we're crazy (we think that sometimes too!), but the way God has brought these 2 special girls into our lives has made it impossible for us to not make them part of our family!

Here is the story of how Chloe and Charlotte stole our hearts:

A few months before I moved to India, Nikki sent me a picture of a little girl that was in line to come to SCH from the state orphanage.  This little girl looked just like Anjali, Nikki's first love at SCH who passed away.  Nikki had fallen in love and was wondering if I would be okay with adding her to our family when she was transferred to SCH.  I of course said yes!

We found out her name (we'll call her D) but besides that and the one blurry picture, we knew nothing about her.  Even so, we began praying for her and eagerly awaiting the day we could add our little D to our family.

When Theo came to join us in March we promised ourselves that after D, we wouldn't take any more.  We were already so busy with our 8!

Until a few weeks ago there was no progress on getting D transferred to us.  Then things finally started moving!  We were able to learn a little about D and even got a recent picture.  She was much younger and smaller than we had thought judging by the year old picture but so precious.

We decided her online name should be Chloe as it has the same meaning as Anjali's online name, April (opening/blooming).  It is because of Anjali that we even considered taking D so we wanted her name to reflect that and honor Anjali's memory.

Fast forward another week or so and Nikki was needed to go to the state orphanage for other SCH work.  She promised to pay a visit to D and tell me all about her.

When she got home, the first thing she said was, "how do you feel about taking 2 new girls?"

Come to find out, D isn't actually D!  The girl we had received information and the new photo of is D - who is only a year old.  They gave us the wrong name of the girl in the original photo.  The girl we had originally fallen in love with is 3 or 4 year old S.  Because the original photo was so blurry and they look alike, both having anophthalmia (no eyes), there was a mix up.

We had fallen in love with a picture of a little girl named D and then found out that the girl in the photo and D are actually 2 different girls!  How could we not make both part of our family?

It was just so clear that God worked it out to bring us 2 new little girls instead of the 1 we had our minds set on.

So now S will be Chloe as she is the one that started it all and D will be Charlotte, meaning free as that is our prayer for her - that she would be set free in Christ from her past.

On Saturday I got to meet my girls for the first time.  It was my first trip to the state orphanage and I wasn't quite sure what to expect.  I have heard horror stories of orphanages in places like this and was prepared for the worst.  What I saw really wasn't half as bad as I was expecting.  I mean, it was bad - the kids don't wear diapers, one room will have up to 25-30 kids in it, many are malnourished, and the ones that aren't mobile spend almost all of their time lying on their backs on the floor, but to be honest it could have been much worse.  It seems to me like they're doing their best with the resources they have (which isn't much).  I definitely left wishing we could bring them all to SCH though and I can't wait to be able to bring my girls out of there and into our home!

It was hard seeing so many kids in need, knowing I can't help all of them - as much as I wish I could.  There are 2 that I can help though and meeting them was one of the best things ever!

Charlotte looks well taken care of.  She is a chunky little baby and a huge cuddle bug!  She will not bear any weight on her legs as of right now but I am looking forward to the day she can waddle around on those little legs of hers!

Chloe is a goofy little firecracker and I see her being very much like Jasmine!  She can stand for a short period of time on her own and walk with support.  I could have stayed all day playing and admiring her little thin-lipped smile and adorable ears.  We were able to get permission to each take one photo with her and I can't stop looking at mine, wishing she were back in my arms right now.

My heart aches when I think about my little girls, Chloe and Charlotte.  I want them here with us so badly.  I want them to know love and to understand what family means.  I want to be there for them when they are having a difficult day or when they just want someone to hold them and make them feel safe.  I want them to have the best and richest life they can have.  I want them to know their Heavenly Father and the incredible love He has for them.

Thankfully, they will be here with us soon.  Unfortunately, not soon enough for me to be here for it as I leave in just 8 short days.  Nikki will take great care of them though and it won't be more than 2 or 3 weeks after they arrive when I return.  As sad as it is, I am glad they will be coming as soon as possible and that I at least got to see them once before I go.

Until I return, I will continue to pray for my beautiful little girls and stare at their photos often.

Can't wait for the day our family finally reaches the perfect 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment