A few days ago, I had the opportunity to go to the parent day event at Nolan's school. It was a time for the parents to come and see what the kids have been learning and participate in some activities together.
The search to find a school for Nolan has been a long, hard road but we were finally able to not only find a school that would accept him, but a school that is perfect for him and exactly what we had been looking for! Nolan loves it and wakes up each morning with a huge smile on his face, asking if he's going to school today :)
It was such a blessing to go to the parent day and see how well the teachers, other kids, and parents treat him and how much he enjoys being there.
There was a room for each season with crafts and activities to go along with the theme and Nolan and I made our way around, meeting each of the teachers along the way. They were all anxious for Nolan to be able to participate in everything and were ready and willing to adapt for him when needed.
I heard only good things about him from the teachers and am so glad to know they see how special he is.
He said hello and shook hands with everyone but the part that made the whole thing so special was that after the hellos, he would point to me and then to himself, letting everyone know that I was his mama. He was so proud to show me off to everyone - teachers, parents, students, it didn't matter. Everyone had to know that he had someone who loved him come with him just like all the other kids.
For once in his life, Nolan didn't have to feel like an orphan.
Nolan's birth parents may have abandoned him, but he has a Heavenly Father that loves him and has not left him as an orphan - He has sent him not one, but two moms, and many more wonderful people in his life who love him.
Nolan now knows what love is and what family means.
My prayer for Nolan though is that one day God will bring him a father and a mother who will be there for him forever. Parents that don't have to leave the country every 6 months. Parents that don't have to worry about the day they may be called to move on and have to say goodbye. Parents that can give him better opportunities for a bright future. A forever family that will always be there for him no matter what.
I am constantly overwhelmed that God chose me to be a mother, if only for a short time, to these children of His. To stand in a place that has been void most of their lives is one of the greatest blessings I could imagine.
But I pray that's all it is: temporary. Not for my sake, but for theirs. I can never give my kids all they need in this situation and it wouldn't even be an option for me to legally adopt for another 6 years (and that's only if I were married)!
I know I'm just a band-aid. What my kids really need is adoption. Adoption has really been on my heart lately and I've got a whole other post coming on the subject but for now, please join me in prayer for adoptive families for my kids and the rest of the kids at SCH. Please also share their stories - you never know whose heart God may touch for one of these children.
Maybe even yours.
No comments:
Post a Comment