One year.
One year since I packed my bags, moved to India, and became a mom.
It has been the craziest, hardest, and most rewarding year I've ever had.
I feel like I haven’t changed at all, yet I know I have grown so much in ways I would have never expected.
This year has been full of many ups and downs, fun times and hard times, peaceful times and stressful times. There have been days that are so wonderful I can’t stop smiling. There have also been days that have left me defeated and feeling like I had failed. Yet through it all, God has given me an incredible peace that I am exactly where He wants me and the strength I need to get back up again.
This year has held the moments I've felt closest to the Lord, and also the times I've felt the furthest.
I've been stretched in my faith, brought as far out of my comfort zone as possible, and learned to rely completely on the Lord for the strength I need to make it through each and every day.
I have seen so many things this year.
I've seen kids learn to walk. I've watched as children learn they have a voice and begin to communicate. I've seen kids hear for the first time. I've witnessed children who were completely withdrawn come out of their shells. I've seen them speak their first words. I've seen God miraculously transform lives right before my eyes.
I've also seen pain. So much pain. I've looked into the eyes of children who have been through more than I can even comprehend. I've held them in my arms and felt completely helpless. I've had my heart broken so many times. Sometimes I feel like the weight of it will crush me.
But I've seen those eyes become full of love and light. I've seen Jesus shine through the brokenness. I've seen my Father’s heart for the hurting. I've seen him heal and restore.
I've also seen 7 of the most amazing kids on the planet grow up before my eyes. The incredible children that one year ago, made me a mother:
Promise is now 17 years old and one of the most beautiful young ladies I know. Her laugh can light up a room and her quiet strength is something I look up to.
Lily is now in the double digits at 10 years old! A year ago she had just started learning her letters and numbers and only spoke a few words. She is now typing, counting, and beginning to read! Her communication has taken off with her speech becoming much clearer and she now understands English fluently! She has grown up into a responsible young lady and is an amazing big sister.
Molly has grown up so much! She started communicating for the first time this year, beginning with yes and no, and is now learning to use a communication board! She is so smart and picks up everything as fast as we can teach her. She can now spell her name and is learning to recognize sight words. Molly will be celebrating her 8th birthday next week!
Nolan has learned so much this year and has gotten so big. He is starting to recognize sight words and type, can spell his own name, and is now signing in complete sentences and communicating so well! He started attending a mainstream school this year and is now so motivated to learn! Nolan is probably our most independent child when it comes to self-help skills and is such a responsible little boy.
| I've also gotten to see 4 new additions join our family, taking me from a mom of 7 to a mom of 11! |
Theo
Louise
Chloe
Charlotte
It has been one crazy year. A year I wouldn't trade for anything.
This time last year I was a year and a half out of high school, taking a semester off of college to get on a plane and start a 6 month journey that I felt utterly unprepared for, wondering what God’s plan was in it all.
Today I am the mother of 11 special needs children. I live in India. And I am so incredibly glad I took that leap of faith one year ago, stepped on a plane, and received this amazing gift God had ready for me.
Tonight I had to say goodbye to my kids. In a few more hours I will be on a plane once again, this time headed back to California.
It gets harder to say goodbye every time. I’m so excited to see my family and friends again, but at the same time my heart is breaking. It is so hard being away from my kids.
At the end of the month though, I’ll step on a plane again and be back with my babies.
Back home.
And I can’t wait to see what God has in store for year number two!
Molly and Theo have the best smiles ever!
ReplyDelete