This week especially, I've been reminded of the importance of the little things in life.
So often I get caught up in all the therapy, school, and advocating for my kids that I forget or am too tired to take time for the little things. I forget to just sit and read a book with one of them. I'm too tired to run around and play. I don't take time to sit and cuddle.
But while I may not see milestones and exciting things coming out of those activities, they are still so important for my kids. I've been constantly reminded lately that sometimes I need to stop being a therapist, teacher, advocate, nurse, and crowd controller, and just be a mom.
I was reminded of that the other day as we had a rainstorm. I still had 2 more sessions of school and therapy planned for the afternoon and every intention of finishing that up and then retreating to my room for some rest and to get some computer work done.
Instead, Nikki and I brought all of the kids (and our slide) up to the roof and had a huge rain party. Yes, Cedar and Brianna missed out on their 1:1 sessions with me that day, but instead I got to play and enjoy the afternoon with all 12 of the kids and we all LOVED it.
My heart was full watching them each play in their own unique way, all enjoying themselves and full of smiles.
Nolan going up and down the slide, wanting us to hold his hands so he could surf down on his feet.
Jasmine just standing with her face to the sky, giggling.
Brianna feeling rain on her face for possibly the first time ever and surprisingly loving every minute of it, trying to reach out and catch the raindrops in her hands.
Lily sitting with a grin on her face, bossing everyone around and making sure the space at the bottom of the slide was kept clear.
Molly smiling her huge smile and cracking up as we helped her down the slide.
Cedar lying in puddles, full of his little belly giggles.
Theo running around and going down the slide time after time, never tiring of it.
Chloe lying on her back with her face to the sky, trying to catch the raindrops in her mouth.
Charlotte just wanting to be held and enjoy the feel of the rain on her body.
Selah, unsure at first, then finally coming out of her shell and going up and down the slide by herself for the first time ever (and then again and again and again).
Dinah sitting and splashing in every puddle she could find.
And one of my favorite moments, Louise jumping in puddles once the rain died down and making footprints on the ground that had dried. No one taught her that. She's never seen other kids doing it before. Yet it just came to her naturally.
I was reminded once again as watched them all play and enjoy themselves that they are kids just like any other kid. They may learn in different ways or need things adapted for their needs, but deep down all kids are the same. It's in the moments I take to just play with them that I am reminded of that the most.
So my goal for this week is to remember to focus on the little things. To be willing to veer from the schedule to spend an afternoon in the rain. To take some time to cuddle with the kids in bed before I get my work done. To get on my hands and knees and chase them around the room and let them tackle me. To sit down and read. To get on the floor and play cars or dolls.
To give up my to-do list every once in a while and just enjoy life as a family.
One day I won't have the chance to do that anymore.
I don't want to look back and see all the moments I missed.
I want to look back and remember all the moments I made the most of.
How about you? Are you getting so caught up in your to-do list that you're missing out on the little things? Are you too busy making sure everything gets done that you aren't making the most of the moments you have?
No comments:
Post a Comment